Burgers in a casserole. To change things up I decided to put veggie burgers in a casserole a la bobotie style.
What do you need for the veggie casserole?
For 4 people
- 4 veggie burgers
- 350 gr uncooked brown rice
- 500 green beans
- can of pineapple
- 100ml coconut milk
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1/2 ts ginger
- 1 ts cumin
- pepper and salt
How do you make the veggie casserole?
- Cook the rice according the package
- Grill the burgers in a pan on both sides until crispy
- Take the burgers out
- Cut the tips of the green beans, cut them in half and drain
- Stir fry the green beans with the spices
- After 10-15 minutes and when the beans have softened a bit, add the coconut milk and let is simmer for another 15 minutes
- Drain the pineapple and cut the burgers in smaller pieces
- Add them to the green beans and stir fry for 2 minutes
- Serve the veggie casserole with the rice
I bought these veggie burgers because I felt like it. And instead of just making your ordinary burger, I decided to switch things up and make this casserole. You can use any veggie burger you like and the yummy thing of this is that they are usually seasoned well which brings a lot of extra flavour to the casserole. I picked Morrocan flavoured chickpea burgers so that the dish has some extra protein as well.
For this veggie casserole you can cook the rice first according to the package. Then it’s time to grill the burgers. You can do this in a grillpan or just use a regular pan with some coconut oil. Grill them on both sides for a few minutes and then take them out. Cut the tips of your green beans and cut the beans in half. Cook the beans in the pan for a few minutes until they get softened. Also add the herbs so that the beans get flavored well. This can take up for about 15 minutes. Add a bit of coconut oil in there and if you bake them well, you can get a nice roasty grilled taste to them.
Drain the pineapple from the can or use fresh pineapple if you have that on hand. Cut them in pieces if not already. Also cut the burgers into pieces and add them together with the pineapple to the green beans. Stir fry this up to 2 minutes and serve this together with the rice.