What do you do when you didn’t make the kale chips like you wanted to? Still make the chips and have some stuffed pepers as well! Here’s to the vegan stuffed peppers with kale chips.
What do you need?
For 4 people
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 bunch of kale
- olive oil
- 500 gram (vegan) meat
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of corn
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
How do you make the vegan stuffed peppers with kale chips?
- Preheat the oven at 150 degrees
- Put the kale on a baking plate, sprinkle with olive oil and some salt to taste.
- Cute the bell peppers in half and remove the seeds and put them next to the kale.
- Put the vegetable in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes until the kale is nice and crispy.
- Meanwhile, grill the (vegan) meat in a saucepan
- Add in the corn and the diced tomatoes halfway together with the italian herbs and paprika powder.
- Let it simmer for about 15 minutes
- Grab a small saucepan and add in the almond milk, nutritional yeast, corn flour and smoked paprika powder.
- Let it simmer and make it to a cheese sauce
- Fill the bell pepper with the meat mix and the cheese sauce and serve the kale chips on the side.
OMG this meal it so yummy! It all started off with the fact that I wanted to make kale chips and then by the end of the week I completely forgot that I wanted to have this as a snack. Poor me! So I thought, what can I do with this without letting this go to waste? As I also had some bell peppers left, and so my first idea was to make stuffed peppers with bits and pieces of kale in it. And then I thought: stuff that ;). I have like a love hate relationship with kale and spinach and I actually don’t like it to get hot and soft and slimy. Just not my cup of tea. And then the great idea came: what if I could just make stuffed peppers AND kale chips together? Boom, there it is!
So here we go! You preheat the oven at 150 degrees. Wash your kale and break all the leaves from the stem and place all the leaves on a oven tray with some baking paper. Sprinkle and massage the kale with some olive oil and season with salt to taste. Then cut the bell peppers half. Remove all the seeds and place the peppers with the kale on the oven trays with bottoms down. Roast them in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the kale chips are crispy.
Meanwhile let’s not stuff the stuffing up. Grill the vegan meat in a saucepan until it becomes a bit more crispy. Add in the diced tomatoes, corn, italian herbs and paprika powder and let it all simmer for about 15 minutes. When this is getting yummy and flavorful, you can make the cheese sauce. Grab a small sauce pan and add in the almond milk, corn flour, nutritional yeast and smoked paprika powder. Keep on stirring whilst you heat up. The corn flour will make the sauce thicker once you cook it. You can always add more corn flour or almond milk to thin or thicken the sauce to your liking. When everything is done, fill the peppers with the meat stuffing and top off with the cheese sauce. Serve with the kale chips as a side.