Pasta in the oven is what makes my mouth water and my heart beats faster. With grilled eggplant, chickpea pasta and tofu ricotta, this pasta bake is next level pasta!
What do you need?
For 3 – 4 servings
- 200 gr chickpea pasta
- 1 large eggplant
- 250 gr tofu
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp italian herbs
- 1 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 cube broth
- 1 capsicum
- 2 carrots
- 50 gr vegan cheese
How do you make the pasta bake?
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees
- Put the pasta in a bowl of water
- Cut the eggplant into slices
- Grill the eggplant slices in a pan until nicely grilled
- Set apart when all slices are grilled on both sides
- Cut the carrots and capsicum into small pieces
- Fry them in a pan until they become a bit softer
- Add the herbs and dices tomatoes and broth
- Let it simmer for about 15 minutes
- Put the tofu with the lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt in a blender en blendt to ricotta texture
- Omit water from pasta
- Put layer of sauce into an oven tin, followed by slices of eggplant, layer of tofu ricotta and layer of the pasta
- Repeat one more time
- Finish with the cheese on top
- Put the pasta bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes
So confession. I wanted to make an eggplant lasagna. So if that’s you, please make it. Point was, for some reason I couldn’t find gluten free lasagna sheets in the supermarket. The aisles were still quite empty in the pasta section due to Corona so that is probably why. I did however find chickpea pasta which not only had a really cute shape but is also higher in protein. I call that a win win! So by all means if you want to make this into a lasagna instead of a pasta bake. Go ahead or try this vegan lasagna recipe.
I love the different layers in this recipe as we have a creamy ricotta, easily made out of tofu, the amazing taste of grilled eggplant and a sauce full of veggies. Plus the topping of vegan cheese that slowly melts in the oven, heaven!
For this pasta bake you will preheat the oven at 200 degrees and also grease an oven tin. Put the pasta in a bowl of water so it can soften a bit. We start by grilling the eggplant as this is most time consuming. Slice the eggplant up and grill each slice on both sides in a dry pan until they’re nice and brown. You can set the slices aside when ready. In the meantime you can cut the carrots and capsicum into small pieces and fry them soft in another pan. Then add the diced tomatoes, broth and all the herbs while you let everything simmer for about 15 minutes. You can also blend the sauce all together in case you have picky kids or just want to have a rich sauce.
Put the tofu, lemon juice, nutritional yeast and salt in a blender and blend it until you get a ricotta texture. Then put half of the marinara sauce on the bottom followed by a layer of eggplant slices. Then add the ricotta. Omit the water from the pasta and add half of the pasta to the oven tin. Then repeat the steps again. End with either shredded cheese or slices of cheese depending on what vegan cheese you have. Put the pasta bake into the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes when the top is nicely grilled and the pasta has softened.