A delicious smooth and creamy cheesecake with only wholefoods and with the sweet and sourness of cranberries. A perfect vegan cranberry cheesecake for Thanksgiving or Christmas.
What do you need?
For 1 cake
- 1 1/4 natural (gluten free) cookies
- hint of salt
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 2 cups of cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp tapoica starch
- Cranberry jam
How do you make the vegan cranberry cheesecake?
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees
- Crumble the cookies with some salt in a kitchen aid to a flour like consistency
- Melt the coconut oil in a microwave or pan
- Add the coconut oil to the cookie crumble until you get a sticky consistency.
- Scoop the cookie crust into a greased baking pan and press it firmly down with your fingers or a spoon.
- Bake the crust for 15 minutes
- Add the soaked cashews, coconut cream, chickpeas, tapioca, maple syrup, orange juice, lemon juice and some sea salt to a kitchen aid
- Process everything untill it’s very smooth.
- Pour the cheesecake mixture on top of the crust and bake the cheesecake again for about 45 to 50 minutes
- Let the vegan cranberry cheesecake cool down completely and refridgerate for 5 to 6 hours
- Serve the cheesecake with the cranberry jam or put it on top of the cheesecake before serving.
Don’t you just love cranberries? I think they are amazing. And even though I have a slight preference for raisins, I think cranberries are typical holiday material. Besides looking very Christmassy, it actually contains a lot of vitamins, mainly vitamin C and a couple of vitamin B. As you might know, cranberries are really good for bladder infections and along with the high fiber in cranberries it is really good for your overall health.
Let’s dig into this cheesecake shall we? Because who needs creamy dairy if you have cashews?! To be fair. Yes the taste is different than an original cheesecake, I have to admit that. Needless to say that this cheesecake is amazingly delicious. And even better for you as well as it is just made with nutricious whole foods. I am a food lover and if I could I would eat all day (or am I basically doing that already haha). And I would eat this whole cheesecake as well. The thing is though that with a regular cheesecake I would never feel satisfied and would fall into a sugar rush and eating more. With this cheesecake, as it’s so nutrient dense, you actually do feel satisfied. Great for your tummy and great for your taste buds!
To start with this vegan cranberry cheesecake, you’ll be making the crust first. For this you preheat the oven to 170 degrees. You use the cookies or graham crackers if wanted first. I used gluten free cookies as I am intolerant, but feel free to use whatever you like, though natural whole foods cookies have your preference. Put these cookie monsters in the kitchen aid together with some salt and crush them until the cookies are having the consistency of flour. Then you melt the coconut oil in the microwave or a pan and add this to the cookie flour. Mix it well and then add it to a cake tray. Press the dough down with your fingers or use a spoon to create an even crust. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile you can make the cheesecake filling. Get rid of the water were the cashews were soaking in and put the cashews in the kitchen aid. With the cashews you will add all the remaining ingredients as well: the coconut cream, chickpeas, tapioca, maple syrup, orange juice, lemon juice and some sea salt. Mix everything well untill it is nice and smooth. Pour this over the crust and then bake the cheesecake again for about 40 minutes. You still want the cheesecake to be a bit soft for that creamy cheesecake filling idea.
Let the vegan cranberry cheesecake fully cooldown and ideally refridgerate it overnight. Then serve a slice of cheesecake with some cranberry jam or put the jam on top of the cheesecake before serving.