Tuesday taco day!! I love to make different variations of tacos and quinoa is a perfect ingredient so use as a meat replacer. Especially when you make it extra crunchy in the oven! Let’s bake these quinoa meat tacos.
What do you need?
For 4 people
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 1,5 cup water
- 1 capsicum
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa (diced tomatoes works too)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- (plant based) sour cream
- 12 tacos
How do you make the vegan quinoa meat tacos?
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees
- Grab a saucepan and add in rinsed quinoa whilst toasting for 5 minutes
- Add broth and water and let it cook and simmer for 15-25 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, cut the capsicum, tomatoes and onion into small cubs and add to the quinoa whilst cooking.
- Mix the olive oil, salsa and spices together in a small bowl
- Stir the saucemix into the quinoa when all the liquid is gone
- Transfer the quinoa to a baking tray and bake until crispy for about 25-35 minutes. Stirring throughout and also add in the taco shells to bake along for 5-8 minutes.
- Fill the tacos with the quinoa meat, add some sour cream and slices of avocado.
Taco time!! Tuesdays are for tacos. Good thing it is Tuesday today, so you can make them tonight haha! I was in the supermarket the other day and I found a really yummy plant based sour cream. Because I haven’t had sour cream in ages as I am lactose intolerant, I thought this would be a great idea to see what this one is like. That calls for tacos!
To make it vegan I could have used a meat replacement like vegan minced meat (which you can do too!) or lentils. But quinoa was calling me! Because of the protein and structure of the quinoa, it comes actually really close to minced meat. I believe anyways :). Whilst I was cooking the quinoa I figured it needed that extra crunch to make this meal mouth wathering. So on went the oven and crunchy and crispy went the quinoa. It may take a bit longer than my usual meals, but letting quinoa cook and bake in the pan and oven hardly requires any supervision, which leaves you time to have fun with your family, do some other household chores or read a book. You do you!
For the vegan quinoa meat tacos, you preheat the oven to 190 degrees. Then rinse the quinoa in a sieve with some water and transfer it to a saucepan. Toast the quinoa for about 5 minutes to already get that crunch going. After that, add the chicken broth and water. Let the quinoa cook and simmer until all the liquid is gone. Meanwhile, you can cut the capsicum, tomatoes and onion small. Add this to the quinoa whilst cooking to soften it too.
Then grab a small bowl and add the olive oil, all the spices and salsa. Stir well and set aside. You can also slice up the avocado while you’re at it and prep a baking tray with some baking paper. When all the liquid of the quinoa is gone, you can stir in the salsa sauce and scoop the quinoa mix onto the baking tray. Bake the quinoa in the oven for about 25-35 minutes or until nice and crispy. When you stir and toss in between, the process will go a bit quicker. Also, don’t forget to put the tacos in the oven as well for about 5-8 minutes. When everything is ready, you can fill up the tacos with the quinoa meat and add the sour cream and avocado as toppings.