Kalimera! This is honestly soooo good! This is the kind of meal you only want more of. So let’s explore how to make this Greek Pita with Grilled Eggplant & Tofu. ASAP!
What do you need?
For 4 people:
- 4 (gluten free) pita bread
- 1 big eggplant
- 1 soft avocado
- 250 gr tofu
- olive oil
- pepper and salt
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp oregano and more to taste
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- bag of rocket
- 1 cumber
- about 4 tbsp coconut yogurt
How do you make the Greek Pita with Grilled Eggplant & Tofu?
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Cut the eggplant and tofu into slices
- Place them on a oven tray
- Sprinkle everything with some olive oil and oregano.
- Then sprinke the balsamic and some pepper, salt and garlic on the eggplant
- And sprinkle the onion and cumin on the tofu
- Put them in the oven for 20-30 minutes until roasted
- Prep the salad by cutting the cucumber and mixing with rocket
- Top the salad of with some pepper, salt, oregano and coconut yogurt to taste
- Toast the pita in the toaster (or put in oven)
- Spread the avocado as butter on the pita and top off with the eggplant, tofu and some extra coconut yogurt if you choose to do so
I knew this meal was going to taste yum. But for it to be this epic was unseen for. I love the combination of balsamic and eggplant. It it just the best! But what happened is that I sliced the tofu quite thin and so it became super crispy. When I tasted it, it tasted exactly like this Dutch snack called “knabbelspek” which is essentially a crispy bacon snack. Beyond expectations!!
As usual, I come up with my recipes on the spot. Whilst doing groceries on the job the other day, I found these gluten free pitas that I wanted to try out. I did have a eggplant that I still wanted to finish so the idea to roast it with something and have a salad on the side, was born pretty quickly.
As for you, you can make this Greek meal by preheating the oven at 200 degrees. Grab your eggplant and tofu and start cutting it into slices. The eggplant is pretty easy I assume. For the tofu, depending on the type of block you have, you want to cut it into 2 or 3 bars before cutting it into slices so that you can have smaller pieces. Put everything on oven trays.
Now, you can make a marinate, I am just a bit lazy and I love to be a tat messy, so I just sprinkle my spices on top of everything. Here’s how you do it: cover the eggplant and tofu with some olive oil and some oregano. Then for the eggplant add some balsamic vinegar, pepper, salt and garlic. You can even marinate it with your finger to get extra messy haha. Then put some cumin and onion on the tofu. Put the oven trays in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until crispy.
In the meantime you can make the side salad. Cut the cucumber small and mix it in with the rocket. Top it of with some pepper, salt, oregano and some coconut yogurt. Toast the pitas in a toaster. Alternatively, you can add them into the oven for a couple of minutes. Cut them open and spread the avocado on them. Then add the eggplant and tofu on top of that and add some coconut yogurt to taste.