The first bite you take, full of crispyness, goodness and the best pasta I’ve had in ages. This crispy parmesan eggplant pasta is made with nacho chips. What a twist!
What do you need?
For 3-4 people
- 1 big egg plant
- 1 bag of nacho chips
- 1/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup of almond milk
- 2 el Italian herbs
- 2 el nutritional yeast
- 250 to 350 gram uncooked gluten free pasta
- 1 can (Italian) diced tomatoes
- 1 (green) capsicum
How do you make the crispy parmesan eggplant pasta?
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Put the nacho chips in a kitchen aid to pulse to crumbs
- Put the nacho crumbs, almond milk and buckwheat flour in separate bowls.
- Add the italian herbs to the flour and the nutritional yeast to the crumbs.
- Cut the eggplant into slices.
- Dip each slice in the flour, milk and then crumbs and put on baking sheet
- Put the eggplant parmesan into the oven for 30 minutes and turn halfway through
- Cook the pasta according to the package
- Cut the capsicum into little pieces and stir fry in a pan.
- When the capsicum has softened, add in the diced tomatoes
- Let it simmer on low heat
- Serve the pasta with the sauce and the crispy eggplant
- Optional: add some pine nuts for the finishing touch
Oh my oh my, do I love crispy things with a cheesy touch. As this definition usually includes gluten and dairy, I usually end up having nothing at all. And then I decided it could be different. I wanted to have the crispy and cheesyness. And so I did. Because, usually you would make this with breadcrumbs and I put my brains to work. What is gluten free, easy and crispy? Yup, nacho chips, of course! Getting the parmesan idea was easy as I think nutritional yeast tastes this way anyways. And so an idea was born. Of course you can always use breadcrumbs, parmesan and add meat if you choose to do so.
First off you want to preheat the oven to ensure that extra crispyness. Then wash the eggplant and cut it into slices. Take the nacho chips and put them into a kitchen machine and pulse them into crumbs. Transfer the crumbs into a bowl and also fill 2 other bowls with some buckwheat flour and almond milk. Then add the nutritional yeast to the nacho crumbs and the Italian herbs to the flour. Then dip each eggplant slice into the buckwheat flour, then the almond milk and end with the nacho crumbs. Put each slice on the oven tray with some baking paper. Roast the crispy eggplant for about 30 minutes until crispy and turn halfway through.
For the pasta, cook the pasta in water and follow the instruction on the package. Then cut the capsicum into little pieces and stir fry them in a pan. When they have softened, you can add the diced tomatoes. Let this simmer for a while until the eggplant is done. Serve the pasta with the sauce and top it off with the crispy eggplant and some pine nuts.