A very moist chocolate cake that melts in your mouth like a chocolate soufflé. That is how I would describe this chocolate apple cake. With only natural ingredients and just a kitchen aid, you can make this cake easily yourself.
What do you need?
For 1 cake, approximately 12 slices
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 apples
- 4 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 cup almonds
- 4 tbsp maple syrup (or more to taste)
- 2 ts baking soda
- 1 ts cinnamon
- pinch of salt
How do you make the chocolate apple cake?
- Preheat the oven on 180 degrees
- Remove the core of the apples
- Cut 2 apples in bigger pieces and put into the kitchen aid to blend it to apple sauce
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add and mix them with the apple sauce
- Now add the other ingredients: buckwheat flour, cacao powder, baking soda, maple syrup, cinnamon and salt.
- Mix everything until you get a smooth batter.
- Cut a couple of slices of the remaining apple for the topping and cut the rest into cubes.
- Add the cubes of apple and almonds to the batter and mix it with a spoon.
- Scoop the batter into a greased baking tin and add the slices of apple on top
- Bake the chocolate apple cake for about 30 to 45 minutes. You can stick a tooth picker in to see when it is ready. It can come out dry or a little moist for the real chocolate soufflé effect.
A gooey piece of chocolate cake. You know, the one that slightly is still melted like a chocolate soufflé. When baking with only wholesome ingredients, it is not a bad thing to leave this cake a bit unbaked so that is isn’t as dry and very creamy. When with a normal cake it would have been not as healthy to still have a bit of raw product in there. Plus there is a little secret hidden in here, chickpeas! These are giving the apple cake some extra body, bite and protein. And I can promise you, the only way you will know that there is veggies like chickpeas in there, is because of the bites you will be taking. It is not your ordinary crumbly cake, but something undescribebly good and it won’t taste like chickpeas at all.
For the chocolate apple cake, you will preheat the oven at 180 degrees first. Then you prepare the apples. You will remove the core from the apples. I left the skin on for extra vitamins, but it is up to you if you want to remove them as well. Take 2 of the apples, cut them in bigger pieces and blend them in a kitchen aid untill the consistency of apple sauce. Drain and rinse the chickpeas and add them to the apple sauce, mixing it all to a smooth consistency. You can add a bit of water if needed.
Then you add the other ingredients to the kitchen aid. That is the buckwheat flour, maple syrup, cinnamon, baking soda, salt en cacao powder. Mix everything again untill you have a smooth batter. Cut the remaining apple. Cut a few slices to the top and cut the rest into little cubes and stir them together with the almonds into the batter. Scoop the batter into a baking tray with baking paper. Add the slices of apple and put the chocolate apple cake in the oven for about 30 to 45 minutes until the cake is crispy on top and almost dry within.