Having a positive body image has been booming. And for good reasons! If you are struggling with how you are viewing your and other bodies and you want to improve this, listen to this podcast to start your journey with a better body image that has been shown in research to work. Zali Yager, body image researcher, will share her research findings on everything body image.
Listen to the podcast or scroll for the blog
Dr. Zali Yager is an Associate Professor in the Institute for Health and Sport at Victoria University, with over 16 years’ experience in body image research. More recently, Zali and co-founders have launched the Body Confident Collective, a not-for-profit research translation organisation and health promotion charity that aims to get knowledge and evidence based programs out to the people that can use them. Zali also has 3 kids aged 7, 5, and 5 and is passionate about improving body image and wellbeing among children, adolescents, and adults.
Focus on body functionality, compassion and gratitude
Instead of focusing on everything that is wrong with your body, can you find things that you love about your body? What are you grateful about? What things work well in your body and can you start there by pointing that out on a daily base. How can you be more compassionate and grateful of yourself and your body and all that it does for you.
Journaling about your body
If you want to learn how to love your body, journaling is the best tool to start with. If you find this difficult, you can try listening to a meditation first to open yourself towards better writing. Journaling is great because you really have to think about what you are going to say. Writing down what you don’t like and change this around and writing down what you do love really makes a difference on the long run. Write it down often enough to make that difference.
How to be a role model for body positivity
Be mindful of the things you say because this has a conscious and subconscious effect on a kids and other people’s behaviour and how they view their bodies. You can use the Red Hiding Hood approach to address the functionality of our body instead of the beauty or society view we have of our body.
Positive body image resources
- Zali Yager’s website: www.zaliyager.com
- Zali’s Insta: @drzaliyager
- Body Confident Collective Insta: @bodyconfidentcollective
- FREE 5 DAY training to create & achieve your new years resolutions
- My 3 month 1-on-1 coaching traject
- My 90-minute Back on Track Blueprint coaching session
- Schedule your free discovery call to learn how you can have a happy & healthy relationship with yourself and your body
- FREE ebook: 3 ways to eat and think for a healthy body & mind
- DIY Ditch the Diet course
- Life to Enjoyce Community (chat with likeminded people & achieve your goals)
Your takeaway & share the show
Thank you for listening to my podcast. It means the world to me and I would love it if you spread the love so I can keep on inspiring you with amazing content. You can subscribe, rate and review the Life To Enjoyce podcast on Itunes. And/or make a screenshot of your favorite episode and share the link with your friends or on social media (I am @lifetoenjoyce) with your biggest takeaway. Don’t forget to tag me in it so I can say hi and thank you!!
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/2MKefRZYn4pF9Pd3qGCPnz?si=Wn4Egy9_QhS1tpar8ZkgUg
- ITunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/life-to-enjoyce/id1488184385
- Podbean: https://lifetoenjoyce.podbean.com/